Student Council Presidential Candidates 2015

Name: Ally Petitti

Grade next year: 12

Why would you be a good candidate for this position?

Community Council has always been a significant aspect of my life. Since my freshman year I have had the privilege to represent my peers on council and it is a privilege that I never take for granted. I believe that I would be a good candidate for this position because I approach all of my tasks with hard work and passion. I am a strong leader and always have and am willing to dedicate a significant amount of time and hard work to the job. Since I have been on council we have hosted many successful events such as the Bonfire, the Snowball 2014 and 2015, outdoor movie nights and more. Although the outcomes of planning these events for the school have been extremely fun and successful, they are not the sole reason I believe I am a good candidate. It is the behind the scenes work that I put in to council that I believe demonstrates that I am passionate about council. Whether it’s one of my weekly trips to Sam’s Club during the outdoor sports seasons, or if it’s the emails I am constantly sending to Mr. Smith, Mr. McNaughton, and other teachers, these jobs are the reason I love council. They are tedious and sometimes not easy to complete, but they are definitely the most rewarding and important tasks to planning these different events.  If elected, I will get things done, support all aspects of the community and represent my peers with the same passion that I have been for the past three years.

What are your accomplishments?

I have planned both snowballs, been in charge of the Candy cane-grams in the winter, planned the bonfire, hosted numerous concession stands, movie nights, manhunt nights, game nights before school plays and helped plan spirit week events as well.

What are your goals if elected?

If elected, my goals are to increase school spirit not only in the aspect of sports but to also encourage students to support the school plays and art shows. My goal is to continue to raise money, to plan successful events, and to come up with new ideas of events that that community will enjoy. I also aim to get more feedback from the community on ideas that they have to better the community and to do everything in my power to put these ideas into action.

Name: Luka Yancopolous

Grade next year: 12

As President of the school, I believe I would bring the right mix of leadership together with a strong school spirit and a zany innovative charm. I have always wanted to be a part of council, and despite losing when I ran in 9th grade, you have all seen the evidence that I remained committed to the school and Hackley community. I am without a doubt one of the most spirited students in the school, whether you see it in the posters I print out for the fall and winter sting, the chants and cheers I start at every game or the unrelenting support I give to all school wide activities in “The Hive.” After graduating Hackley last year, my brother left me in charge of this Facebook group which he created 3 years ago, and as Administrator of this group I often write posts in hopes of getting more support for events organized mostly by community council or the school. Perhaps you also remember the crazy Halloween costumes I made (like the toy soldiers last year or the Lego men this year), or when I turned my truck into the Hackley Hornet for the Fall Sting. Some may view these things as silly or pointless, but they do require lots of time and effort, which I love to put out for my school community.

My leadership is not only in the over the top support for school-wide events. Since ninth grade I have been part of a community service force, which dedicated hours each week, initiating clothing and food drives for those in need and helping to solve problems in our local area. Each month we also host events for the Abbott House, which is a home for underprivileged and disabled children. Along with a couple of friends, I thought it would be nice to get Hackley students involved in these events, and we created the Abbott House Club, which now has 35 members who all help out in holiday parties which these children would otherwise not have. I believe that my leadership, outrageous school spirit, and willingness to lose sleep in order to print out 24 by 32 inch posters of Delia makes me the best presidential candidate.

What are your accomplishments?

In the past few years, I have not been a part of community council, despite my greatest wishes. I still believe that on my own I have accomplished quite a lot. Most recently, I have been focused on adding all new upper school students to the upper school Facebook group so they can all be as updated on school events and information as possible. This group has become the place that most students go to check for snow days, learn about school events, or simply ask if anyone has seen their missing banjo. Despite not being a part of community council, I also have helped in the set up of several events like last years snow ball and this year’s fall and winter sting. I brought a plethora of body paint, giant headshots of William Cotter, and even the horrible noise-makers which Mr. Edwards kindly explained were unacceptable. I painted my car into the Hackley Hornet, also known as the Buzz Mobile, in which the seniors were able to dance and sing in the quad during the pep rally. Despite it not being my job, I put immense amounts of effort into raising school spirit, just because I love to do it. Along with my co-leaders of multiple clubs, we have set up several productive events where students got the chance to bond with these children at the Abbott House who have grown to love us, hugging those who come to every event and calling them by name. My tenacious love for Hackley can be seen in everything I do to increase excitement for events or to spread camaraderie at events.

What are your goals if elected?

My plan for community council is to increase the spirit, and the participation in all school events, from club meetings to sports events. I believe that the key to getting people excited about something, is by allowing them to have a part in each event. For the last few years I have not been a part of council and have found it difficult to find out what exactly is going on. My plan as president would be to call for more transparency on issues that community council members are taking on. Council should encourage every student to feel confident in giving advice, or help in planning and setting up events. My main goal is to increase excitement throughout the community, by opening up council more to the community.