Student Council Vice-Presidential Candidates 2015

Name:  Joseph Lovinger

Grade next year: 12

Why would you be a good candidate for this position?

I would be a good fit for Vice President because I love student council and the responsibilities it entails, and see the Vice Presidency as the clear next step for me in serving my school. I think it will allow me to apply the skills I have learned over the past two years as a Grade Representative on a larger scale. I have observed that Council generally tends to function as a group where, for the most part, one’s position on Council doesn’t matter as much as the contributions they make. However, Council’s success has again and again come as a result of having experienced leaders in the main leadership roles who can foster such open discussion, yet simultaneously maintain order and ensure that we are not just an organization of thinkers, but of doers as well. Being successful as a Student Council is impossible if we do not have leaders who value the opinion of others, no matter their grade. I believe that I can do just that; I know that I can help lead a collaborative, successful council that represents the true desires of the school.

What are your accomplishments?

As an active member of Community Council for the past two years, I have helped plan school-wide events like the Snowball dance, field days, and Upper School movie nights, as well as grade-specific events like Manhunt Night and the end-of-year talent/award show for the Junior grade. I help run the concession stands at Fall and Spring sports games. I have helped welcome in the current Freshman class as a Peer Advisor, and participated in all three open house ambassador events in my time at the Upper School.

What are your goals if elected?

If elected, I want to make sure Community Council is a collaborative environment in which each grade is equally represented. I believe that Council is, at its heart, a student organization. That means that each grade needs a fair chance to have its ideas considered. It also means that Council is not successful unless it plans and executes great student events. I want to unify the student body with more events like the extremely popular Snowball. More quick, 30 minute Community Time events like the teacher dunk tank coupled with monthly or bi-monthly schoolwide after school events should lead to a more unified, happy student body. Additionally, Council needs to start earning back some of the money it has lost. Every year that I have been on Council, we have struggled to avoid operating in the red. More fundraisers, such as concession stands, need to continue being the money makers they are. Additionally, I think we should continue selling creative Hive apparel. Updated Hive shirts, as well as new mediums like the soccer scarves, would not only keep Council sustainable, but also allow students to passionately support their teams while providing Council with more money to re-invest in better events for the student body. In short, I seek to lead a Community Council that focuses on the community, with great events for the student body, teams, and community as a whole.

Name:  Christopher Thompson

Grade next year: 11

• I would be a good candidate for this position because I have…
  • A flexible schedule in order to prioritize Community Council.
  • Previous experience on Community Council
  • Seen how multiple Vice Presidents of Community Council operate (Phil Yu, Mike Leonard, Allison  Petitti)

What have you done for the Hackley Community?
I have…

Under Council (Last year):

• Organized and helped with the setup of the first Snow Ball
  • Manned the Happiness Day stand
  • Helped with Movie Night and man concessions
  • Voted and participated in all major decisions and discussions

What are your goals if elected?

If elected, I promise to…

• Increase efficiency in Council, to increase the amount of events / quality of events held
  • Increase total funds to, once again, increase the amount and quality of events