Student Council Treasurer Candidates 2015

Name:  Eli Pinkus

Grade next year: 12

Why would you be a good candidate for this position?

As a current member of community council and as a founder of the school’s most populated club, I have experience in organizing large groups of people to achieve a common goal. I believe among the most important abilities of someone in charge of finances is the ability to do the most with less. All too often I find that money is spend on items and aspects that aren’t even noticed by the student body. As treasurer I will maximize council’s financial efficiency to ensure that the student body receives the most “smiles-per-gallon.” After being deeply involved with council operations for almost a year I have developed a sense of what works and what doesn’t. I have grown accustomed to the process of proposing an idea and supporting through completion. When it comes to organizing events and completing projects, I have noticed that I stress over every detail in order to guarantee that the product is as perfect as can be.

Additionally, as a current member of council I have become among the most outspoken members. My responsibilities and accomplishments throughout the past year have molded me into a future treasurer as I have often assumed responsibility of certain financial endeavors.
Ultimately, the purpose of student government is to enrich the lives of the students and as school treasurer and a member of school-wide council I will work tirelessly to make sure that purpose is fulfilled.

What are your accomplishments?

Between my time on council and my experience as a club founder I have contributed immensely to the Hackley Community. In founding Pondering the Universe we have created a space where well over a quarter of the school’s population is able to discuss whatever interests them. As far as council is concerned, I have revitalized the hive shirt concept and you should be seeing new, Pinkus original shirts coming to stores near you. I’m also a peer advisor and have helped acclimate my advisees to the upper school. Over my three years as a student I have developed a bond with the Hackley community and hope to leave behind a positive legacy.

What are your goals if elected?

I have a few projects that either are currently works in progress or things I plan to incorporate in the future. Like I mentioned Hive Shirts are in the works and hopefully end in a great success. I also have been working with current members of council to redesign the way in which council handles its funds. Currently we hold money as cash in an old metal cash box which to me seems a little old-fashioned. I plan on continuing, and completing, the pursuit to establish a community council accessible bank account allowing council to withdraw via debit cards and enter the world of modern commerce.

I also would like to enhance council events by offering more enticing activities and food options (i.e. chipotle 😉

Random Event Idea: Indoor laser tag around school get hyped.

Name:  Brian Schmitt

Grade next year: 12

Throughout my two years on council I have come to understand what makes it the integral part of Hackley it is: its leadership. Constantly we have had incredible people in the higher roles that both inspired the student body to action and convinced the faculty to allow us to do the amazing things we do. Whether it’s manhunt, hive shirts, or a charity drive, certain members’ hands on approach to getting things done allowed it to happen. I believe the embodiment of this was the treasurer when I was a grade rep two years ago, Xiaoling Keller. Before her, the position of treasurer was seen as relatively passive, taking notes and handling cash, but in her term I watched as she utterly redefined what it meant to be treasurer. She was present at every single council run food stand, helping to make sure the fund raisers she planned went smoothly. She worked closely with the clubs at Hackley, and she played an integral role in organizing the events that she raised money for. That year she won the prize for the best member of council, and that year I decided I would do my best to continue what she started in the years to come.

This year I believe I have the ability to do just that. I have extensive experience handling money, having organized investment simulations and taken a leading role in Hackley’s new Next Gen Vest club. I have also adopted Xiaoling’s hands on attitude and plan on continuing the active role the treasurer must play to keep council running faster than ever. I also have had a lot of experience working with different faculty members to achieve council’s goals. As grade rep I regularly met with Mr. Morales to bring back grape jelly into the Dining hall, and even petitioned him to reintroduce the old chicken patties. I also have experience planning and organizing many Hackley activities, having bought food for school wide events and worked with the HPA to plan concession stand times.

I believe Hackley’s treasurer should be one of the most active people in the room, and I hope I can make the previous treasurers proud with what I can accomplish in 2016.

What are your accomplishments?

I have taken an active role in continuing and starting many of Hackley’s investment oriented clubs. In my two years on council I helped to set up games, food stands, charity events, and group activities. I have also had a lot of fun working on the past two field days, especially when it comes to organizing the big group games. I have also helped to introduce the new film class to the Hackley curriculum, and hope to lobby for a much anticipated class on Vikings in the near future.

What are your goals if elected?

I have quite a few goals if elected, and I plan on checking off every aspect of this list before my senior year is over. It’s going to take some work, but I believe we are up for the task.

1. Lobby for new ways for council to make money including selling Hackley memorabilia at games, doubling the amount of concessions stands, introducing council bake sales, having more candy and valentines day grams, introducing a change donation box in the tuck, and beginning a tradition of Hackley lemonade stands.
  2. Break the record for most council funds raised in a year
  3. Post a weekly bulletin of what was discussed in council as a way to foster more community involvement in the council process.
  4. Redesign the way clubs apply for money by making it easier to meet with council to apply for grants through monthly meeting times.
  5. Allow non-club affiliated student groups access to council funds upon application, allowing charity events and student trips to take place on council’s behalf.